As a PhD candidate, you may be asked to participate in teaching activities. This may include giving a lecture of workshop, or supervising individual students, for example when supervising a student's bachelor thesis or scientific research project. This course will give you the basic skills needed to handle these tasks well.
The course consists of two interactive group sessions (4 hours per session). The (mandatory) preparation will take about 3 hours.
This course will be held in Dutch only. For non-Dutch speakers please contact the Doctoral School.
Edition 1: September 22 and October 6, 2022
Edition 2: November 29 and December 13, 2022
Edition 3: March 21 and April 4, 2023
Edition 4: June 8 and June 22, 2023
PhD candidates who are tutors of a small group of students or supervisors of students during internship or research thesis.
10 hours, which is comparable to 0.4 ECTS points.
The main two topics of this course are: teaching classes (especially small groups) and supervision of individual students. At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of active learning
- Design a lesson plan based on the concept of Constructive Alignment
- Plan the process of supervising (individual) students and choose applicable styles of supervision
- Provide students with constructive feedback
- Reflect on difficult situations in teaching and supervising and identify appropriate courses of action
Number of participants
Maximum 15 per course.
Attendance is registered.
Drs. Yvonne Graafsma